Weekly Workout Log

Monday-

Tuesday- Ran for 1 hour, 3.75 miles, 657 calories

Wednesday-

Thursday-

Friday-

Saturday-

Sunday-

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

5k

Alright, this time I have a question. How long does it take to train for a 5k?? I grabbed a flyer today for a 5/10k. It looks fun, and I want to do it. There is only one problem. The event is August 1st. Thats a little more than a month away, and I'm not in anything close to good enough shape to run that far. I want to do it, and I can train as hard as my lungs will let me. I just don't know if thats long enough to train from virtually nothing to running that distance. Right now, The most I've done is like 2 miles in 40 minutes or so, including warm up and cool down. I'm gonna go for a run tonight and I'll see what I can do and how far I really need to go. So I'll see what that tells me and update this as necessary. But I would like to know, if you have experience or know what you're talking about, is a month long enough to train for a 5k?

UPDATE
Alright, "virtually nothing" may have been a bit of an exageration, but I still have quite a ways to go. After a 5 minute warm up biking, I ran 2 miles in 26 minutes and about 15 seconds. Thats about 13 minute pace, which isn't bad considering thats the longest I've ran straight. I guess I should mention that I only walked for maybe 2 minutes and ran the rest of the time. So I'm kinda proud of that. I maybe could have done a bit more but man I was tired as hell. I think I'll do some more running over the next week or so and then see if I think theres a realistic shot at doing the 5k or not. Still I'd like some input as to normal training schedule for a beginner 5k.

No comments:

Post a Comment